Before Caroline goes on ahead, I walk back to my sled. Wouldn't you know, Ginsing who I thought for sure was hot, starts barking his head off... and his enthusiasm ripples through the rest of the team !! I decide that this might not be a bad time to leave our parking spot. Not wanting to impact the momentum Caroline's team had going by drafting off them, I took my time re-hooking tugs. Alright guys, let's go see Daddy! I was still groggy from sleeping in the sun. The team was moving along ok, but still not at the beautiful pace we we had going 2+hrs ago.
Along this section of trail there were numerous open pools of water. I stopped once or twice and tried to entice the dogs to take a swim, but they showed no interest. OK. Deep breath, listen to some music and try like hell not to get upset... because really, what good is going to come from being upset? All I want, is to finish this race with a happy dog team! We are now only 6-8 miles outside Allagash and our momentum is growing exponentially!
For the rest of the ride into Allagash, let's just cut to the chase.....
Once back at our original parking spot, I immediately went up and down the team hugging everyone, removing booties and doling out a snack. I do not recall if I unpacked my sled and then went indoors to sign The Paper, or if I unpacked afterwards. What I do recall however, is Caroline and Andy at a table inside Two Rivers Lunch, head in hands, expressing their sympathies as I signed The Paper. Caroline had already signed hers....
Apparently, when Bob talked to whomever it was from the Allagash checkpoint that delivered The Call, he requested they refrain from allowing me to sign The Paper until he had a chance to see me. So much for that! I swear, as soon as the words 'I would like to scratch' came out of my mouth, The Paper and a pen appeared on the table in front of me. By the time Bob and Weston arrived, I had the sled completely broken down. Dogs and handlers are not allowed inside the mushers cabin section of Two Rivers Lunch. At this stage, who is going to argue. I retrieve Allie from our truck and while Bob and Weston finish the packing, Allie and I head inside for some alone time. It was symbolic to have Allie consoles me at that particular moment since it is this Town and the Wilderness Waterway from which her name hails.
The guys had a 6-pack of beer with them and I brought one over to Caroline and Andy. Sitting between Bob and Weston on the ride back to Fort Kent, I fell asleep with a 1/2 drunk bottle between my legs. Question now, are we staying for the banquet? Most Definitely!! Hang out in town for the day, Christine Richardson gets herself a haircut, we consider taking in a movie but turns out that Kim Paradis closes the Century Theater down on Monday's. Not to worry, I use this as a small opportunity to catch some ZZZ's!
The banquet this year was held at the American Legion. It was actually a nice change of venue that afforded the mushers a grand stage from where to accept their awards. Christine surprised the hell out of me. She won a pair of handlebar mitts..... and in front of everyone, gifted them to me. I was humbled. Thank you my friend! I'll never have an excuse to complain about cold fingers again!! Without perhaps even knowing it, Christine and her handler Al Borak (thanks again for the snub) were a huge inspiration for me this season. We've kind of grown up with Christine in this sport. She has obtained success and confidence in a much shorter period of time, and we are tremendously proud of her!! So...I hope she does not mind too much if I close out this Epilogue with a paraphrase from her website.

Much hard and intense work went into this season. As I draft entries to our blog, sitting here during the month of May, if it was not for unseasonably cool temps we've experienced, I might have almost forgotten the hours spent on the ATV and sleds while up at the Dawg House. Bob and I would often be cranky and feeling the pressures of competition, and say to each other "This is the very last season we'll participate in this crazy sport!" Hah. Its all worth it!!! We are already in the throws of making dog coats, having a new sled constructed and planning a litter. If we get out of this sport, it absolutely will not be next season!!!
See you on the trail!!!! Peace :}
No comments:
Post a Comment